Tuesday, April 04, 2006

RECOVERY

The medical profession informs us that folks with traumatic brain injury are far better off not drinking at all-- whether or not drinking had been a problem pre-tbi-- and not using any drugs except as prescribed by our physicians.

Fortunately for me, I was already in recovery from my addictions for many years pre-TBI. In the spirit of recovery, I offer some of the things I have learned that subsequently helped me when I began healing from my traumatic brain injury.


1. "Addiction is not freedom. " So says a pamphlet from Narcotics Anonymous.

2. "Doing more of what doesn't work, doesn't work." Nathaniel Branden

3. No matter how good "it" is or how bad "it" is, using does not improve whatever "it" is.

4. In order to have quality in our lives, we have to take care of ALL of our medical problems, not just the addiction or the tbi.

5. Exercise, rest, and proper nutrition are also part of recovery.




I have found throughout the years that --

people do not always wish us well.

"The world goes on as it will, and not as you or I would have it."--Marion Zimmer Bradley

we do not always get the things that we need, but we can survive anyway.

drifting is for drifters. finding meaning in life comes from setting and achieving goals.

it takes practice to achieve proficiency.

anything worth having is worth working for.

we should not agree to "leave our brains at the door" EVER.

sometimes even when we do the "right thing," the "wrong things" happen.

i do not have power over every force in the universe.

the idea that i create my own reality is a lie.

suicide is a highly irrational act.

life is sacred.

love is all that matters.


~sapphoq

No comments: