Saturday, April 01, 2006

NATIONAL BRAIN INJURY AWARENESS MONTH 4/1/06

NATIONAL BRAIN INJURY AWARENESS MONTH

already happened in March. I am aware of my traumatic brain injury every day. To only have to acknowledge it for one month out of the year would be a blessing.

http://www.biausa.org is the addy of the Brain Injury Association in the Untied States. Our good folks at the state chapter here ( http://www.bianys.org ) had informed us a couple of years back that Brain Injury Awareness month was being moved to March. We were all supposed to be aware of brain injuries every October. What happened is that October was just too dammed competitive. Several other really big orders and disorders had booked the month of October ahead of us. There wasn't enough press to go around for all of it. So like some bastard child, brain injury awareness got pushed back (or forward, depending on if you are a pessimist or an optimist-- me, I'm a realist) to the springtime.

Our local chapter, or support group-- depends on who you are listening to depends upon what you call it-- does a color-the-helmet contest for little kids in surrounding school districts in March (which used to be October). In April (which used to be November), a few of us get to walk and stumble our way around a table with stacks of pictures to pick the prize-winners. At the end of April, after the oestre rush, there is an awards ceremony. Kids and parents stream in from all over to hear a few people talk and watch the prizes being given away. I hope that the kids will remember to wear their helmets when biking or skateboarding or sitting in their wheelchairs hoping not to knock their heads too hard when the violent seizures come blasting through. TBI is no prize, I'll tell ya that.

The national folks also made up some nifty green rubber band bracelets. The bracelets say, "Mind Matters." Two thousand scientists are in their meeting rooms right now across the universe argueing whether the mind is separate from the brain, is the brain, or does not exist. I refuse to wear the bracelet. "Can you say 'BRAIN' boys and girls?" Hell, I guess not.

The Brain Injury Association does alot of really good work and I've been told that I should not quibble with them over words. Words are powerful. Thus I quibble. Thus I am a quibbler. Or, one who quibbles. No matter.

~sapphoq

No comments: