Sunday, March 17, 2013

When I Die




When I die-- because I will-- I will not have any consciousness.  My tired damaged brain will be released into nothingness.  I will cease to exist.  I will simply not be.

When I die, I do not want a fancy funeral with flowers and fakery and make-up and clothing that I never would have worn when I was among the living.  None of this will matter to me after I am dead.  Still, there is something about The Great Lie that has become the burial industry that repulses me.  I don't want people to contribute to it on my behalf after I am dead.

When I die, after the transplant teams are done harvesting whatever organs-- including but not limited to my skin-- that are useful; and the medical students have done practicing how to do an autopsy or learning anatomy from my corpse, I want to be thrown into the general heap of discarded hulls and given a general burning.  If any of the crazy ones loved ones in my family insist on anything more, then I want to be cremated and my ashes either scattered in Mother Ocean as fish food or buried in the woods that I love with no markers.

After I am dead, I do not want some priest or minister or rabbi or religious folk whose congregation I have never attended extol my supposed virtues with words better wasted on others.  After I am dead, if my body must be dressed before burning then some old clothes will do just fine.  Better yet, burn me naked.  Take the clothes you would have dressed me in and donate them to someone in need of them.  Take the flowers you would have surrounded my remains with and give them to someone you love who is still alive.  Take the money you would have spent on The Great Lie and use it for something that matters.  Take your memories of what I have stood for in this life and use them to propel yourself into social action of some sort or another.

After I am dead, you will still be living.  So live, remember, don't look back.

sapphoq healing t.b.i.

No comments: