Friday, February 02, 2007

FAT IS NOT WHERE IT'S AT 2/2/07


61% of all Americans are overweight. 23% are obese.
I prefer to call it like I am-- fat, not "phat, overweight, obese, chunky, fluffy." I am fat. Some folks are fatter. Fat was not a problem brought on by my traumatic brain injury. Fat remains though, in spite of my best intention.

There are five ways recommended to lose weight--
[1 and 2]. diet and exercise- [eat less and exercise more" is what my doc told me; "pushing the table away" is what my dad says]-- that's two,
[3]. changing behavior-- stuff like no ice cream or junk food in the house, more veggies and grains, drink more water, eat off of smaller plates,
[4]. prescribed drugs [including the one that gives ya the shits if ya eat fatty stuff that makes 2 available right now with 130 coming up through the ranks], and
[5]. fat surgery for the fatter folks.

So now I am fat and have a traumatic brain injury and fibromyalgia and more depression. Some of us do wind up in that boat and it is sinking. What to do.

sapphoq's thoughts:
1). I threw away the scale because it lies.
2). If I must weigh myself, then I weigh myself at the gym after a workout.
3). I must weigh myself once in awhile, so then I must go to the gym. Surely I can manage to put up with 30 minutes or so of healthy activity. Gyms with some member who are fatter than I am are my idea of nirvana. Indeed, there is nirvana in my neighborhood. And I am nice to all of the fat people there. Every single one of them. Cuz if they can do it, then so can I. I don't deal with no skinny-assed bitches there. Just the other folks there who are fat like me or fatter.
4). There is no more ice cream in the house. I haven't tried no junk food in the house, more water, or smaller plates. Perhaps sometime I will.
5). I haven't lost any weight. I have gotten stronger physically. I keep in mind my goals: Avoid or delay diabetes which runs in my family. Firm the fat.

Sometimes I have like an evolutionary fantasy. If people are getting fatter on the average, perhaps it is one of those evolutionary changes. And the fat people will all die off or perhaps the fat ones will wind up having the advantage in a hundred years or so when pollution rules the earth.

That is probably a variation of justification for fatness. So I will have to discard it and get on with practicing healthy eating and exercise habits.

sapphoq healing tbi

1 comment:

Ravan Asteris said...

I have the same problem, plus some emotional issues with "dieting" and all, bordering on eating disorder. I'm fat. If I try to "diet", I self sabotage and gain weight. If someone nags me to diet, I gain more.

I try to reduce the junk in the house, and I try to keep the sugar out of my mouth, because all of my mother's side of the family has or had diabetes. Exercise is problematic for me because I am disabled - I can't run, or do those silly aerobics. The fact that the gym near you is populated by heavier people rather than skinny overacheivers is cool.