Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Inhibiting Those Disinhibitions





Before the brain injury, yes I cursed.  I was fluent in cursing in more than one language.  I was good at it.

After the brain injury I still cursed.  I remembered curse words in several languages.  I was even better at it.

Cursing derives from a primitive part of the brain called the prefrontal cortex.  If the prefrontal cortex gets damaged, our inhibitions loosen and we may find that cursing [which is much more a motor and emotional activity than language is] comes easier to us than words.  During the weeks immediately following my brain injury, every other sentence contained at least one curse.  This was true during ordinary activities and not just when I was emotionally aroused.

I learned how to mitigate my cursing.  I discovered that endeavoring not to curse at all was easier than attempting to limit cursing to certain situations.  After a time, I was able to restrict my use of curse words.  Today, I curse very little.  The curses flow when I am very angry.  When I am angry, I monitor my use of curse words.  Sometimes I have to remove myself from the audience and go off somewhere on my own in order to calm down.  I do consciously decide to curse occasionally to add emphasis to something I am talking about.

Meaningful language derives from the Wernicke's Area of the brain.  The limbic system is not involved in everyday communication tasks.  Wernicke's is part of the cortex-- not the pre-frontal cortex-- and thus language and its' interpretation is considered to be a more advanced function than cursing is. 

There are other people on and off the web that can explain the mechanisms behind both cursing and the development of language than I can.  The point is that I had to choose to learn to modify my disinhibited behavior [cursing] in order to regain some control over my life post-injury. 

sapphoq healing brain damage says:  If I had to choose a disinhibition, I think cursing is milder than something like taking one's clothes off in public or setting small fires. 

No comments: