Monday, February 27, 2012

Not Wanted



I went for a job try out a few months ago and although I did well enough, the boss indicated that I was not wanted, or in his words-- can't do it because of [a specific business-related decision]-- and I can accept that.  No one, absolutely no one owes me a living.  The job developer appealed to him recently by e-mail.  His response was predictably that he'd already told her he wasn't going to do that.  Again, business is business, and I get it.

Times are tough.  The economy is tougher.  Folks who don't have traumatic brain injuries are having difficulties with finding employment.  A traumatic brain injury is viewed by some percentage of employers [I don't know what percent] as expensive.  And risky.  Why should someone take a chance on me when they can get someone who is non-disabled and not [as much of] an insurance risk / workers' comp risk [as I would be]? 

Discrimination in employment is mostly illegal these days.  The reality is that if someone making a hiring decision does not want to take on an employee because s/he has a brain injury, is not straight, is not a Christian, is wearing a pentacle, is not caucasian, or [whatever reason that may be illegal to refuse to employ someone], that someone can pick another reason that is legal. 

Do I think that the boss decided not to hire me because of my brain injury or some other factor?  Nope.  Truthfully, I wouldn't care if there was a reason other than his stated reason.  I guess I am supposed to care.  I guess I am displaying political incorrectness by not caring.  But I don't care.  Folks who get fired from their jobs for illegal reasons have far more invested in their companies than I do in a place that I was at for two hours one day.

Besides the brain injury, I have some other liabilities.  I haven't worked since my car accident.  I haven't had a successful attempt at school since my car accident.  I can only work several hours a week due to my t.b.i.-related fatigue level.  I am not young anymore.

It's okay though.  Because I have a plan.  I have a specific plan with specific goals and a todo list.  And I've already started on it.

sapphoq healing t.b.i.

p.s.  I took the pic with my cheap digital camera and it is copyleft.  So go away now copyright police.

No comments: